Re: Rewrite of vc-user-login-name

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Rewrite of vc-user-login-name
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 20:52:50 +0100

Andre Spiegel <address@hidden> writes:

> I will install the changes now and comment out the defadvice in
> tramp-vc.el.  Michael Albinus can then have a closer look.

I've added a test for existence of `process-file' before activating
the defadvice. This will ensure it isn't activated for Emacs 22.1 (and
later), but it still cooperates with older Emacsen.

In `vc-user-login-name', I wouldn't recommend to check for
`tramp-file-name-regexp'; that's too specific. A suitable check should
be (file-remote-p file) instead of.

That check is used at other places in vc.el too, it could be replaced
also. And I'm even not sure that the restrictions for Tramp tested
there are still valid - at least for Tramp 2.1. they aren't. But this
discussion we should postpone until after the release, when Tramp
2.1. might find its way into the Emacs CVS.

Best regards, Michael.