Re: bootstrap error

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bootstrap error
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 16:01:40 +0200

> Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 11:50:12 +0200 (IST)
> From: Alexander Klimov <address@hidden>
> cc: address@hidden
>
> What I wanted to say is that it looks like (what I understand was) the
> indian.el problem -- some resource is slowly exhausted and so the
> error manifests itself in some random place afterwards. First I get
> bootstrap failure at ucs-tables, when I remove ucs-tables I get the
> same failure at some next module, when I remove that new module --
> another one failed. My point was that it looks like ucs-tables or
> other failed modules have nothing to do with the reason of the error.

That is probably so.  But I cannot reproduce anything like that on
Windows without Cygwin, so you will have to debug this on your machine
and tell here your findings.  That is the only practical way to debug
this.

> >    Attempt to autoload define-minor-mode while preparing to dump
> >
> > And then it aborts.  So I kinda can reproduce your problem, although
> > it doesn't prevent bootstrapping on my system.
>
> Probably it is some interaction with gdb?

I'm not sure.  As I explained in a follow-up message, the error
message happened because I didn't run temacs with the "bootstrap"
argument on the command line.

> In my case obtain was called during bootstrap hundreds of time and
> in your case it failed after three.

There should be no reason for it to call obtain so many times, and
moreover, it calls it with the same arguments again and again.

Perhaps try downgrading to the previous version of Cygwin--there might
be some bug in the latest version.

> I have not seen *any* error messages during bootstrap -- it just
> silently failed.

The silent failure is another puzzle: did it abort? did it exit with a
failure indication?  Perhaps putting a breakpoint on the lowest-level
exit routine you can will shed some light on this.

Anyway, thanks for working on this.