Re: bootstrap error

From: Alexander Klimov
Subject: Re: bootstrap error
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 11:50:12 +0200 (IST)

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Yes, that is way I guessed that it is the same problem as with
> > indian.el.
>
> But indian.el was loaded already, long ago, at the point where
> ucs-tables are loaded.  So I doubt that this has anything to do with
> that problem, and it was fixed already anyway.

What I wanted to say is that it looks like (what I understand was) the
indian.el problem -- some resource is slowly exhausted and so the
error manifests itself in some random place afterwards. First I get
bootstrap failure at ucs-tables, when I remove ucs-tables I get the
same failure at some next module, when I remove that new module --
another one failed. My point was that it looks like ucs-tables or
other failed modules have nothing to do with the reason of the error.

> Emacs bootstraps (with MinGW) just fine on my XP box.  But if I run
> temacs inside GDB, I see that loading ucs-tables.el causes `obtain'
> to be called 3 times [...] Then I see an error message:
>
>    Attempt to autoload define-minor-mode while preparing to dump
>
> And then it aborts.  So I kinda can reproduce your problem, although
> it doesn't prevent bootstrapping on my system.

Probably it is some interaction with gdb? In my case obtain was called
during bootstrap hundreds of time and in your case it failed after
three.

> I will try to find out why this error message is being printed, but
> note that I don't see any such message during the actual bootstrap,
> only when I run temacs _after_ bootstrapping.

I have not seen *any* error messages during bootstrap -- it just
silently failed.

--
Regards,
ASK