Re: thumbs.el and transparency

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: thumbs.el and transparency
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 22:49:03 +0100

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     (defun tumme-show-all-from-dir (dir)
>       "Make a preview buffer for all images in DIR and display it.
>
> I am having trouble following the code of this--it is quite complex.
> Does it create a dired buffer?  Or does it create something else
> instead of a dired buffer?

It creates a buffer called *tumme* with thumbnails of all image files
in DIR, just like what happens if you mark files in dired and press
`C-t d' (`tumme-display-thumbs'), but skipping the dired step, for
convenience. A lot of people, including you, seem to have missed this
feature from thumbs.el and I wanted to make a quick hack to see if it
was possible to do. And it was, quite easily. The "only" problem with
it, which `thumbs' have too AFAIK, is that it does not generate the
thumbnails "in the background" (asynchronously or whatever).

The only comment I got about it was that it wasn't good, because of
the limitation I mentioned above. In my opinion it should cover what
`thumbs' does though. I'll probably add it to tumme as I think it
quite is useful.