Re: Compatibility aliases, defsubsts, and macros...

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Compatibility aliases, defsubsts, and macros...
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 08:05:34 +0900

#1 just means "don't _gratuitously_ add aliases simply for the purpose
of making your code look neat" (which for whatever reason lots of
people seem to like to do).

E.g., don't add (defalias 'miles-car 'car) and call "miles-car"
everywhere -- you know car is going to be defined.

#2 then says "In the case where you _need_, for portability, to define
your own version of a standard emacs function on certain platforms, do
_not_ use the standard emacs name for it, instead use a
package-specific name, and add an alias in the case where the Emacs
standard definition is ok."

#2 is very important; the bad old practice of just defining the
standard functions on systems which didn't have it built in (as you
demonstrate) caused many problems.

-miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.