Re: Display slowness that is painful

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Display slowness that is painful
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 20:25:13 -0500

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

> A change in image-mode can't fix this problem.  I did not visit that
> file; I produced it in a buffer with base64-decode.  It was not in
> Image mode.
>
> The change in Image mode might avoid the problem in many cases, and it
> might be correct, but it doesn't fix this bug.  The bug is at the
> level of redisplay, and it has to be fixed there.

This is *really* not the time to make changes in redisplay.  I think
the problem here is simply that if you want to display characters as
\XXX, the redisplay iterator has to go through four times as many
glyphs.

How about simply making unibyte_display_via_language_environment
default to t?  That's basically the situation in Emacs 21, and it
makes display responsive again.