Re: Risky local variable mechanism

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Risky local variable mechanism
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 21:30:50 -0500

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

> A few days ago I sent a message about possibly replacing the risky
> local variable mechanism with something safer.  Nobody has responded
> yet.  This problem is important; please help me think about the issue.

If you want to be really restrictive, you can introduce a list of
`safe-local-variables', and prompt for anything outside that list (the
prompt could have an additional choice, [(a) always allow this
variable], a variable to the list).

Setting `enable-local-variables' to (e.g.) 'unless-risky could bring
back the old behavior, i.e., allowing everything except those marked
as risky.

It seems like people only actually use a handful of file variables,
anyway.  From looking at the source trees of Emacs and some other
projects, the file local variables in use are:

allout-layout
byte-compile-dynamic
byte-compile-warnings
c-basic-offset