Re: default-indicate-buffer-boundaries

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: default-indicate-buffer-boundaries
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 20:29:50 -0600 (CST)

Miles Bader wrote:

   I don't understand Luc's complaint about the boundary icons
   "interfering" with other fringe indicators on the left -- there don't
   seem to be any common cases where that happens.

What is common depends on your usage pattern.

   [`indicate-empty-lines' probably does do a better job of indicating
   "after eob" space,

Yes it does and I believe that this is very important, especially
given Emacs' overscrolling feature, which often confuses people.

   but I think it's unacceptably annoying given it's
   current default icon.  If the icon was made less in-your-face, it
   might be acceptable.

To me, the indicate-buffer-boundaries icons are _way_ more in your face
and potentially distracting than the indicate-empty-lines icons, which
is an additional reason why I do not like indicate-buffer-boundaries.
To me, the indicate-empty-lines icons seem very subdued, exactly the
opposite as the way they appear to you.  I do not remember anybody
other than you complaining about these icons being too "in-your-face".

Sincerely,

Luc.