Re: Display slowness that is painful

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Display slowness that is painful
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 21:17:22 +0200

> From: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 11:15:50 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

> >> It completely messes up display in termcap frames.
> >
> > Really?
>
> Yes.  All unibyte characters (except control characters) are written out
> verbatim.

Then what is it that you think unibyte-display-via-language-environment
actually does?  Unibyte characters are written verbatim when this
option is set to nil, not to t.  When it's non-nil, unibyte characters
are converted to multibyte and then written as if they were multibyte.
Or at least that's the theory was last time I looked.

The doc string still says:

    unibyte-display-via-language-environment's value is nil

    *Non-nil means display unibyte text according to language environment.
    Specifically this means that unibyte non-ASCII characters
    are displayed by converting them to the equivalent multibyte characters
    according to the current language environment.  As a result, they are
    displayed according to the current fontset.

Is that a lie?