RE: ignore mouse-wheel press during rotation

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: ignore mouse-wheel press during rotation
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 10:20:01 -0800

      . Start emacs -Q
      . Visit some file and copy something into the kill ring with "M-w"
      . Scroll down in the buffer by rotating the wheel, but apply
        pressure to the wheel, so that it clicks all the time during
        scrolling

    I don't see any text being yanked during the scroll.  So it seems to
    work as intended.

The problem I mentioned was not about continuously applying pressure to the
wheel while rotating (something that my mouse even resists a bit, with
friction). I agree with you that there is no problem in that case.

The problem I raised was scrolling (without pressing), ending by
(accidentally) pressing the wheel (mouse-2). This is a problem for scrolling
up (so buffer text moves up), in particular, because the finger adduction
can also push the button down slightly.

1. emacs -q --no-site-file

2. Visit some file and copy something into the kill ring with `M-w'.

3. Scroll down in the buffer (scroll window up) by rotating the wheel,
without applying pressure to the wheel.

4. At the end of the wheel rotation, press the wheel (mouse-2).

IOW, rotation followed immediately by mouse-2 is the problem.

    please tell what mouse do you have and what does clicking on the wheel
    do in Windows (look under Start->Settings->Control Panel->Mouse),
    because the default action in Windows, at least with the IntelliPoint
    mouse, is to switch to another frame, which normally prevents Emacs
    from ever seeing the wheel click.

I have the same problem with different mice (work & home). The one I'm using
now is a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0A, with no special
configuration. The other one I use is, I believe, a standard Dell PS2 mouse
with 2 buttons plus the wheel(button).

In the Mouse Properties dialog box, I have these settings. Nothing prevents
Emacs from seeing the wheel click - I know this, because I have debugged
Emacs-Lisp code and observed the mouse events during wheel rotation.

 . Left button = Click (default)
 . Right button = Right-click (default)
 . Wheel button = Next Window (default)

    So the only way I can explain this discrepancy is if one or more of
    the following are true:

      . You tried this in Emacs that isn't "emacs -Q", and some
        customizations you have there have some side effects on this;
No.
      . You need to enlarge mouse-wheel-inhibit-click-time, because the
        default value is too small for your fingers;

Thanks; that helps. I wasn't aware of that option. This indidates that there
is no special problem on Windows.

Question: Is it not the case that people only rarely intend to press (e.g.
click, to paste) mouse-2 directly after using the wheel? I can see why
someone might want to do that, and I recognize that both wheel rotation and
mouse-2 can be made to do other things in Emacs, besides scrolling and
pasting. But my guess is that wanting to rotate and then press mouse-2 is
rare. If so, then shouldn't `mouse-wheel-inhibit-click-time' be (much)
larger, by default? I tried 1 second, and that seemed pretty good.

      . You have customized your mouse via some Windows facilities so that
        clicking the wheel no longer produces the events that mwheel.el is
        programmed to handle.
No.

FWIW, I'm using GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
of 2005-06-26 on NONIQPC
X server distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc
(3.3) --cflags -I../../jpeg-6b-3/include -I../../libpng-1.2.8/include -I../.
./tiff-3.6.1-2/include -I../../xpm-nox-4.2.0/include -I../../zlib-1.2.2/incl
ude'