Re: C-h m in Info mode should mention "search" for Info-index

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: C-h m in Info mode should mention "search" for Info-index
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 14:10:50 +0200

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 07:46:01 -0800
>
> `C-h m'  in Info mode mentions `i' (Info-index) with this explanation: "Look
> up a topic in this file's Index and move to that node."
>
> That's a pretty good description, but a newbie using `C-h m' and looking for
> how to search the manual will not find it by searching for "search".

I don't see how the terminology issue ``search'' vs ``look up'' has
anything to do with being a newbie.  Both are widely accepted English
terms, none of them specific to Emacs.  Can you explain?

> The proposed text also gets rid of a reference to "file" - it is not obvious
> to a newbie what the "file" is all about here: "manual" is clearer.
>
> It also gets rid of a reference to "node" - since it speaks of a "topic", it
> is enough to say that it moves to that topic; "topic" is used here in two
> senses: 1) an index entry and 2) the destination of that entry.

You are right about ``file'' and ``node''.  I modified this text to
say:

   Look up a topic in this manual's Index and move to that index entry.