Re: Emacs Resource (GDI) Leak on Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs Resource (GDI) Leak on Windows
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 13:32:07 +0200

> Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 15:51:06 +0000
> From: Andrew Maguire <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> This GDI leakage is still an issue - Emacs 21.2/3
>
> It appears to be directly related to the display of any modified fonts,
> italic, bold etc.

I'm not sure I can reproduce the problem with the latest development
sources, since you didn't show any numbers in your recipe.  See below.

> For examnple,
>
> 1. start up a completely plain Emacs --no-site-file.
> 2. Run Windows Task Manager and set it to display GDI object usage.

At this point, I have 105 GDI objects showing up in the Task Manager.
If I wait enough for the splash screen to go away, I have 108 objects.

> 3. M-x list-faces-display

As soon as I type "M-x", the number of GDI objects goes up to 118.
After typing "list-faces-display RET", the count goes up to 119.

> 4. SCroll the buffer up and down a lot and GDI object count increases.

It increases to 121 and stops there.

> 5. Make the *Faces* buffer editable and remove all lines whose font is
>     not simply a modified foreground a background colour, i.e. italic
>     bold, fixed-pitch, variable-pitch, mode-line and tool-bar.
> 6. Repeat scrolling up and down to force redisplay of the screen
>     and not that although the GDI count may go up by 1 or 2 after you
>     stop scrolling the extra GDI resource is released leaving with the
>     same number as before.

This doesn't change the count for me.  Does that mean that the problem
was solved, and there's no more leakage anymore?  I'm asking because
it's not clear to me where did you see the leakage--you seem to be
telling that whenever the fonts are not used, their GDI objects are
released, which to me seems to mean there's no leak.

Finally, please tell what version of Windows is that.

And thanks for your report.