Re: thumbs.el and transparency

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: thumbs.el and transparency
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 09:22:58 +0900

2006/2/6, Mathias Dahl <address@hidden>:
> For directories with a large amount of images, this simply does not
> work, I just tried.

Why not?  If it's the speed of conversion, that could be handled
nicely by a system such as David Kastrup described (which he uses for
his latex rendering package) earlier (and something like that is
really necessary for large directories, regardless of how you display
the thumbnails).

I think both "dired style" and "photo album" style could be useful in
difference circumstances, depending on what I want to do with the
pics:  if I'm re-arranging the files, deleting etc., dired would be
useful; if I just want to look at pictures, a photo-album style layout
[with slightly larger thumbnails] would be useful...

> Personally, I do not like the larger size of the thumbnail files used
> by the Thumbnail Managing Standard although I like standards.

It seems like it should be user-configurable, and configurable
separately for the different cases (you're right the, in the dired
case, they should be a bit smaller).

Does the "standard" allow for saving thumbs with multiple sizes?  Is
the thumb size encoded in the filename somehow?

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.