Re: Image cache

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Image cache
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 12:21:30 -0500

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> After generating different images in the same file and visiting them after
> every change in Emacs, I noticed that the displayed image doesn't
> get updated... updating the image cache after visiting an new image
> was correct before the 2006-01-30 change in image-mode.el:
>
>       * image-mode.el (image-toggle-display): Use file name if possible,
>       instead of unnecessarily allocating a (possibly huge) lisp string.

Ugh.  Two simple solutions come to mind: (i) revert my change, or (ii)
clear the image cache on each call to image-toggle-display.  I don't
know which is worse, performance-wise -- any suggestions?

We could change the cache code for file image specs so that the file
modtime in included in the image hash.  But this can probably wait for
after the release -- for now, we can always call `clear-image-cache'
wherever changes to image files can be a problem.  (Aside from
image-mode, I don't know where else the image cache would be a
problem.)