Re: faq.texi

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: faq.texi
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 13:51:53 -0700

Romain Francoise wrote:
Hi Frank,

Thanks for your input!

Frank Schmitt <address@hidden> writes:

Two questions I've been several times are:

"When I type C-s to search, I can't paste via Shift+Insert (or yank
via C-y). Why and what to do against it?"

Er, I'm not sure what that means.  You mean paste whilst being in
isearch?

Probably he does.  The Incremental Search node of the Emacs manual says:

   The character `M-y' copies text from the kill ring into the search
string.  It uses the same text that `C-y' as a command would yank.
`Mouse-2' in the echo area does the same.  *Note Yanking::.

"How does query-replace across line borders work?"

Hmm, yeah, the manual explains that one must use C-q C-j to match
newlines, but not in a very straightforward way.  Or did you have
something different in mind?

I would suggest using query-replace-regexp instead of query-replace,
so that typing SPC while entering the regexp matches newlines as well
via search-whitespace-regexp (assuming the buffer has a sane syntax
table).

or on a similiar topic "How to prefix every line with text a"

This one is covered already:

(info "(efaq)Inserting > at the beginning of each line")

Though it could be made more general.

--
Kevin Rodgers