Re: tool bar: mouse-2, mouse-3, C-mouse-1, S-mouse-1?

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: tool bar: mouse-2, mouse-3, C-mouse-1, S-mouse-1?
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 07:57:48 +0100

Juri Linkov wrote:

I think only mouse-1 should not popup menus, but in many modern
applications mouse-3 is a standard way to show a popup menu
with a complete list of items related to the main item invoked
via mouse-1.
I don't recall an application offering a menu on mouse-3 specific to a
certain tool bar button.  E.g. Firefox 1.5 displays the same as <Menu>
<View> <Toolbars> does, no matter at which tool bar position you click
<mouse-3>.

What I meant is that in Firefox [mouse-3] on a tab pops up a menu of
tab-related actions other than activating a tab as [mouse-1] does.
Also [mouse-3] on a link pops up a menu of link-related actions,
on an image - a menu of image-related actions and so on.  Emacs could do
the same for the toolbar icons.  Even in Firefox [mouse-3] on the [Back]
toolbar button displays a list of all previous nodes.

I for one dislike that. For example, the normal mouse-3 menu in Firefox has "Reload" and "Back", which I use from time to time. But if you happen to be over a link or an image when you click mouse-3, there is no "Back" or "Reload" in those menus. Quite annoying.

   Jan D.