Re: [help-texinfo] Re: coding systems vs. info files

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Re: coding systems vs. info files
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 19:40:18 -0600

    The main problem is that
    given the @documentencoding in the source file, makeinfo writes the
    `coding:' tag before the tag table in the Info output file, and Emacs
    can't find it.

I installed a patch to CVS Texinfo to write the coding: variable last.
Hope it doesn't mess anything else up.

Of course, faq.texi doesn't have any @documentencoding line so all this
work is not immediately relevant.  It shouldn't need one, either.  I
strongly suggest replacing the one non-ASCII character, as in:
  Roland Sch@"auble
(I wonder if his name was really Roland Sch@"uble, Sch@"auble looks
unusual to me, but what do I know.  Back in 18.58 for the Atari ST ...)

Miles' problem of Japanese ending up in the output due to his LANG
variable isn't immediately solvable.

Thanks,
karl