RE: ffap bindings suggestion

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: ffap bindings suggestion
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 17:56:18 -0800

I wrote:

    In one of my libraries, I use a minor mode, and restore the original
    bindings when the mode is exited. I find that clean. However,
    the library currently just restores the vanilla Emacs (-q) bindings;
    it would of course be better to save the bindings at the time of
    entry into the mode, and restore those (original user bindings) when
    the mode is exited. I'm not referring here to a keymap that is local
    to the mode; in my case, the minor mode changes minibuffer key
    bindings. (Using a local keymap is obviously the way to go when
    appropriate.)

    Is there no recommended way (or recommended ways) to handle
    this? It's not uncommon for a library to let users adopt the
    library's suggested (multiple, often global) bindings in some easy
    way. Perhaps we should come up with a recommended way for libraries
    to do that. That way should, in the best case, let users get back
    their original bindings when they no longer want to use
    the features of the library.

No ideas/opinions on this?