Re: ffap bindings suggestion

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: ffap bindings suggestion
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 08:43:32 -0500

>     In one of my libraries, I use a minor mode, and restore the original
>     bindings when the mode is exited. I find that clean. However,
>     the library currently just restores the vanilla Emacs (-q) bindings;
>     it would of course be better to save the bindings at the time of
>     entry into the mode, and restore those (original user bindings) when
>     the mode is exited. I'm not referring here to a keymap that is local
>     to the mode; in my case, the minor mode changes minibuffer key
>     bindings. (Using a local keymap is obviously the way to go when
>     appropriate.)

>     Is there no recommended way (or recommended ways) to handle
>     this? It's not uncommon for a library to let users adopt the
>     library's suggested (multiple, often global) bindings in some easy
>     way. Perhaps we should come up with a recommended way for libraries
>     to do that. That way should, in the best case, let users get back
>     their original bindings when they no longer want to use
>     the features of the library.

> No ideas/opinions on this?

Too general for me to answer.  I'm not really sure what you're
talking about.  Make it more concrete.

I think you've already seen here some example code that modifies a keymap
and then restores the original one, using inheritance (so the "save" and the
"restore" of changed key-bindings are done in one step each).

        Stefan