Re: key to yank text at point into minibuffer?

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: key to yank text at point into minibuffer?
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 15:51:08 +0100

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

    Anyway, as a poor-man's replacement for some of the ffap
    functionality, I added a minibuffer key (I use `M-.') to all
    minibuffer maps. This command just yanks the symbol name at point
    into the minibuffer, replacing what was there.
    Any interest in adding such a feature?

I like the idea.  I use C-w in isearch a lot, and this is similar.  I
cannot see many cases I would use it right now, but I think it would
be useful when doing C-h f and when the word to the left of point is
just a partial function name.

For example, if point is just after `string-match' and I do C-h f I
get string-match suggested as default value.  That is good.  Sometimes
I start writing a function name but I don't know the whole name.  In
those cases C-h f will not help me at all, even if I have written the
first characters of the function name.  In that case, this M-. key
would have been useful to me.

I am curious, what do you use this for?