Re: Disabled commands

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: Disabled commands
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 00:36:57 -0800

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>     While on this side-subject, any objection to the patch below?
>> I do not want not-modified to be disabled.
>
> Hmm... I didn't bother to justify my suggestion originally because it seemed
> obvious to me that it was the right thing to do.  Honestly, not only did
> I not know about the existence of `not-modified' until recently, but I never
> expected Emacs to provide such a command and even less to bind it to a key
> like M-~ which can be hit accidentally.
>
> I've lost some changes because of it, which is why I suggested to disable
> it, especially given the fact that I've never used (or even felt the need
> for) such a command.

I'm with you. I never heard about it until now. It might explain some
weird unexplained behavior I've noticed over the years. If innocuous
commands such as narrow-to-region and eval-expression are disabled,
then surely such a dangerous command as not-modified should be disabled.

Thanks for the heads-up, I've just added

  (put 'not-modified 'disabled t)

to my .emacs.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD