Re: tumme testing

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: tumme testing
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 19:55:27 +0200

>   1. A `very small' image option.  Instead of `tumme-thumb-size' which
>      fits the standard, a `tumme-very-small-thumb-size', perhaps only
>      32 pixels (or maybe 48; I don't know; the value should be held in
>      a variable that has a default but can be set in your .emacs file).
>
>      The function would be
>
>          (tumme-dired-insert-marked-thumbs &optional size)
>
>      and, interactively, would be called for the `very small' size with a
>      prefix option.

Using a different size requires handling it at different levels: how to
specify the size interactively (like a prefix option you proposed above),
how to specify the size statically (with an user option), where to save
thumbnails with different sizes (use some file name convention).

I think it would be good to add a new user option with an alist with the
size-to-geometry mapping where "size" is a subjective word describing
an approximate size:

'(("Very small" . "32x32")
  ("Normal" . "128x128")
  ("Large" . "256x256"))

For example, the Gimp uses the following vocabulary for the size words
describing the preview sizes:

Tiny
Very small
Small
Medium
Large
Very large
Huge
Enormous
Gigantic

>   2. The ability to put set configurable space around images.  This
>      variable would be set in your .emacs file.  It might have some
>      default value other than 0; I don't know.

I like to add two new user options for this:

(defcustom tumme-dired-thumb-relief 0
  "*Size of button-like border around thumbnails in dired buffer."
  :type 'integer
  :group 'tumme)

(defcustom tumme-dired-thumb-margin 1
  "*Size of the margin around thumbnails in dired buffer."
  :type 'integer
  :group 'tumme)

Their default values 0 (relief) and 1 (margin) seems good to me.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/