Re: Possible memory corruption problem

From: Piet van Oostrum
Subject: Re: Possible memory corruption problem
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 08:56:45 +0100

>>> From: "Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden>
>>> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
>>> Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 23:40:51 -0500

>>> Emacs should display a warning when the system is low on memory.  Does
>>> it?
>>>
>>> Emacs tries to estimate how much memory is available, but that estimate
>>> may not really work.  For instance, it never works for me.
>>> The code to estimate available space worked in the 80s on Unix,
>>> but it may need adaptation to the systems of today.

>EZ> It's possible that the existing estimate doesn't work on systems that
>EZ> don't use sbrk.  I believe GNU/Linux is one of those systems.

It seems it is not used on Mac OS X either. The man page says:
     The brk and sbrk functions are historical curiosities left over from ear-
     lier days before the advent of virtual memory management.

And I run a test program with malloc calls, set a breakpoint at brk and
sbrk and it did not reach those.
--
Piet van Oostrum <address@hidden>
Private email: address@hidden