Re: Possible memory corruption problem

From: Aidan Kehoe
Subject: Re: Possible memory corruption problem
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:29:16 +0100

 Ar an ceathrú lá déag de mí Feabhra, scríobh Piet van Oostrum:

Ben Wing implemented this in XEmacs by looking at what getrlimit(2) returns,
which is effective and consistent with what modern OSes do. He also
abstracted it to fall back to ulimit if that’s not available, or to use the
Win32-specific procedure when that’s appropriate.

 > >EZ> It's possible that the existing estimate doesn't work on systems that
 > >EZ> don't use sbrk.  I believe GNU/Linux is one of those systems.
 >
 > It seems it is not used on Mac OS X either. The man page says:
 >      The brk and sbrk functions are historical curiosities left over from
 >      ear- lier days before the advent of virtual memory management.
 >
 > And I run a test program with malloc calls, set a breakpoint at brk and
 > sbrk and it did not reach those.

Which is well and good; implementing a heap using mmap, for example, means
you can release memory back to the OS once it’s been freed.

--
I AM IN JAIL AND ALLOWED SEND ONLY ONE CABLE SINCE WAS ARRESTED WHILE
MEASURING FIFTEEN FOOT WALL OUTSIDE PALACE AND HAVE JUST FINISHED COUNTING