RE: key to yank text at point into minibuffer?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: key to yank text at point into minibuffer?
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 13:24:12 -0800

     > I think ffap.el should instead have a minor mode with its own keymap.

    Is it as simple as this:
    (defvar ffap-mode-map
       (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap)))
          (define-key map [S-mouse-3] 'ffap-at-mouse)
          map))
    (defvar ffap-mode-hook nil "Hook run by `ffap-mode'.")
    (define-minor-mode ffap-mode
       "Toggle `ffap' bindings in every buffer.
    \\{ffap-mode-map}"
       :global t :lighter ""
       (run-hooks 'ffap-mode-hook))

Yes, I think so.

However:

. Does "" for :lighter act the same as nil? I'm not sure - the doc only
speaks of nil. Logically, I guess "" would display an empty string when the
mode is on and display nothing when it is off ;-).

. Isn't it good practice to show the mode name in the lighter? Shouldn't
people see whether or not they are in ffap mode?