Re: moving point and invisible text

From: Richard M. Stallman
Subject: Re: moving point and invisible text
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 17:18:00 -0500

    (with-current-buffer (get-buffer-create "*test*")
       (insert "foo\n")
       (let ((at (point)))
         (insert "bar\nbar\nbar\n")
         (overlay-put (make-overlay at (point-max)) 'invisible t))
       (insert "baz\n"))

    and point at position 4 in *test* C-f moves to position 17.

That's what I'm talking about.  It skips position 5, the position
before the invisible text.

    (with-current-buffer (get-buffer-create "*test*")
       (insert "foo\n")
       (let ((at (point)))
         (insert "bar\nbar\nbar\n")
         (put-text-property at (point-max) 'invisible t))
       (insert "baz\n"))

    and point at position 4 in *test* C-f moves to position 5.

You did not mention that case before, and I did not know about it.

Further experimentation shows that this case works the way the
manual previously said: it allows position 5 but does not allow
position 17.

That inconsistency is a bug; overlay invisibility and text property
invisibility ought to work the same.

Could you debug why they are different?