Re: address@hidden: C++-mode: Syntax highlighting: wrong color for funct

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: address@hidden: C++-mode: Syntax highlighting: wrong color for function identifier depending on the kind of whitespace that follows]
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 19:07:31 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>> This patch to font-lock is exactly the sort of change I was thinking of.
>>> Could someone please install it, then rename
>>> before-font-lock-after-change-function to
>>> font-lock-extend-region-function, and rename
>>> font-lock-run-before-after-change-hook to font-lock-extend-region?

>.... Based on the name, I suppose it's some kind of hook in
>font-lock-after-change-function, in which case I'd be tempted to suggest
>to move it to font-lock-fontify-region instead, to reduce the
>performance impact and make it easier to deal with lazy-lock&jit-lock
>since these tend to use their own after-change-function.

I strongly oppose such a change.  With that change:

(i) font-lock-fontify-region would no longer be fontifying the region
specified by its paramters, but a different (possibly larger) one.
(ii) the hook function (which recalculates BEG and END) might well refer
to variables set by a before-change-functions hook.  (This is done in AWK
mode, for example).  f-l-f-region is regularly called when there is no
buffer change in progress.

Both of these things would make debugging a hook function much more
difficult than it already is.  Determining the region to fontify and
actually fontifying it are two logically distinct operations.  They
shouldn't be intermingled with eachother.

[ .... ]

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)