Re: (setq blink-matching-paren-dont-ignore-comments nil) ignored?

From: Andrew M. Scott
Subject: Re: (setq blink-matching-paren-dont-ignore-comments nil) ignored?
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 08:08:13 -0700

Richard,

    Richard>     (

    Richard>     ;;;;;;;; ( <=== This is skipped

    Richard> and insert a ). You will see that this variable takes
    Richard> effect.

1. Thanks to the examples provided by you & Mathias Dahl, I now
   understand the function of variable
   blink-matching-paren-dont-ignore-comments. Thank you both.

2. The current negative logic embodied in the variable name can be
   confusing, e.g.:

   (setq blink-matching-paren-dont-ignore-comments t)

   I think it would be clearer if positive logic were used, e.g.

   (setq blink-matching-paren-ignore-comments t)
   (setq blink-matching-paren-ignore-comments nil)

   with docstring:

   blink-matching-paren-ignore-comments is a variable defined in `simple.el'.
   Its value is t

   Documentation:
   *t means `blink-matching-paren' ignores comments.
   More precisely, when looking for the matching open parenthesis,
   skips the contents of comments that end before point.

3. I also recommend than an example similar to yours/Mathias's in this
   thread be added to the (Info-find-node "emacs" "Matching") section.

Thank you,
Andy Scott