Re: random crashing with bootstrap emacs (cvs) under solaris (SunOS 5.8)

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: random crashing with bootstrap emacs (cvs) under solaris (SunOS 5.8)
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 01:14:58 +0200

On 2006-02-17 10:08, Mark Aufflick <address@hidden> wrote:
>On 2/17/06, Giorgos Keramidas <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> Are you using CFLAGS that include one of -fast or -xarch=FOO
>> where FOO enables 64-bit ELF binaries?
>>
>> I've been building cvs-emacs on Solaris 10 amd64 and sparc, but
>> only as a 32-bit binary and without -fast.  Enabling either -fast
>> (on any architecture) or -xarch={amd64,v9a} results in random
>> crashes here too.
>
> I'm using gcc, so it would be -mcpu=v9 to force a 64 bit compile. To
> check I did:
>
> $ find . -name 'Makefile' |xargs egrep 'v9|mcpu|xarch|v9|fast'
>
> which only matched a few lines relating to make bootfast.
>
> And sure enough:
>
> $ file emacs-22.0.50.1
> emacs-22.0.50.1:        ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1,
> dynamically linked, not stripped
>
> So that's not it. But it got me hoping!

I've been building without HAVE_POSIX_MEMALIGN too, since a while
back, until I track down why using posix_memalign() has problems
on FreeBSD/amd64.

Can you try running `./configure' as usual, and then manually
setting HAVE_POSIX_MEMALIGN to:

    /* #undef HAVE_POSIX_MEMALIGN */

in src/config.h before running ``make bootstrap''?

Stefan Monnier is probably the best person to track this down,
before I manage to learn enough about memory allocation in Emacs,
so if you find that disabling posix_memalign() fixes the build
for you, please let Stefan know (he's already a subscriber to the
list, so Cc:'ing him may be unnecessary).

- Giorgos