Funny handling of font for initial minibuffer-only frame (was: Funny han

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Funny handling of font for initial minibuffer-only frame (was: Funny handling of background color for initial minibuffer-only frame)
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 08:44:47 -0500

> A bug was recently introduced (within the last week or two) which is
> triggered by my minibuffer-only setup.

> It can be reproduced with the following steps:

>    emacs -Q --eval "(setq initial-frame-alist
>                           '((minibuffer . only)
>                             (background-color . \"red\")))"

> you should see a single frame open, with an ugly red background (rest
> assured this is not the color I use ;-) where all the text is incorrectly
> displayed with a white background rather than a red background.

This bug was fixed last week.  But it appeared that the bug had another
aspect which did not get fixed: not only was the `background-color'
incorrectly used, but the `font' also (I didn't pay much attention to it at
the time, but it was there already).

You can reproduce it with the latest code with:

   emacs -Q --eval "(setq initial-frame-alist
                          '((minibuffer . only)
                            (font .
\"-misc-fixed-bold-r-normal-*-24-*-*-*-*-*-*-*\")))"

You'll notice that the (minibuffer-only) frame uses the default font rather
than the -misc-fixed-bold-r-normal-*-24-*-*-*-*-*-*-* specified.
This worked until around mid-january (the problem appeared at the same time
as the background-color problem above, AFAICT).

        Stefan