RE: set-text-properties, remove-set-properties, add-text-properties: 1)

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: set-text-properties, remove-set-properties, add-text-properties: 1) doc string 2) return value
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 11:37:00 -0800

    > Exactly.  I think it should just return OBJECT, whether that
    > is a buffer (or the current buffer, when nil) or a string.

    I agree.  `propertize' returns its input argument with added
    properties. So why `add-text-properties', `set-text-properties'
    can't do the same.

Sorry to stir this pot again. I have the same question now for
`put-text-property'. It seems to always return nil (true? - the doc string
says nothing about its return value).

What about giving some meaning to the value returned by `put-text-property'?
What about using a return value like `propertize' uses - that is, return the
OBJECT?

As Richard mentioned for `set-text-properties', this would be a new feature,
not a bug fix, so it would be for after the release.