Re: c-mode eats resources?

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: c-mode eats resources?
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 21:33:18 +0200

>> (let ((start (float-time)))
>>   (font-lock-mode 1)
>>   (jit-lock-fontify-now (point-min) (point-max))
>>   (- (float-time) start))
>>
>> GNU Emacs 21.4 - 0.5 sec
>> CVS 2004-04    - 3.5 sec
>> CVS 2005-09    - 6.8 sec
>> CVS 2006-02    - 10.0 sec
>>
>> Given a few percents of CPU utilization, no wonder that stealth
>> fontification lasts several minutes.
>
> Does it help to increase the size of the regexp cache in search.c?
>
> #define REGEXP_CACHE_SIZE 20

I increased it to 2020 (this also required increasing NSTATICS twice to 5280),
and on the first test (on the current CVS) the result was 7.0 sec.

However, on subsequent evaluations the result started degrading:

1 - 7.0
2 - 7.0
3 - 8.4
4 - 9.5
5 - 9.5

After that, I reopened alloc.c, and again, on the first
evaluation the result was 7.1 sec, but on subsequent tests
the fontification time increased:

1 - 7.1
2 - 7.6
3 - 7.9