Re: key to yank text at point into minibuffer?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: key to yank text at point into minibuffer?
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 15:10:55 +0900

"Mathias Dahl" <address@hidden> writes:
>> And of course `C-u C-u' is
>> no easier than `C-a C-k'.
>
> Really? I find that the former is much easier to type. Keep Ctrl
> pressed and quickly press `u' two times with the same finger.

Well, I have plain "C-u" bound to erase the minibuffer -- surprises me
occasionally, but very convenient!

However, I've always found "C-a C-k" _very_ easy and quick to type --
the initial pinky reach to the control key takes far longer than the
following "a" and "k", and because of the way your fingers are
positioned on the keyboard, the "a" and "k" are almost free:  the "a" is
right under your ring finger while you're holding the control key, and
the "k" is on the home row of the opposite hand (which hasn't moved).

C-a C-k is also pretty much an emacs idiom for killing the current line
in situations where a more specialized binding isn't available (I use a
program that has "emacs like" keybindings, but where C-k does something
nasty, and I have to constantly remind myself not to use C-a C-k...

-Miles
--
A zen-buddhist walked into a pizza shop and
said, "Make me one with everything."