RE: command to customize the thing at point?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: command to customize the thing at point?
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 07:23:23 -0800

    > How about having a single command that would call customize-face,
    > customize-option, or customize-group, as appropriate, on the
    > name at point or under the mouse pointer?

    In what contexts/places would it be useful?

Any context in which, today, you might use `customize-face',
`customize-option', or `customize-group'. These are essentially just
different manifestations of the same `customize' method applied to different
kinds of "objects".

The point is that you're already pointing at the name of the thing in
question (via point or mouse pointer), and that "object" should "know" what
the "method" `customize' means to it (to descend to oopspeak).

(No, I'm not advocating any oopness for Emacs here; I just thought that
phrasing it ooply might make the point clearer to those born post Oop (other
than Alley, that is).)

In only relatively few cases is the object in question ambiguous; in those
cases, the command would ask you which is the intended target. It could
either ask you explicitly (y/n) or just let you cycle through the possible
values ("foo (function)", "foo (option)", "foo (face)").

The same idea might be used for `describe-variable', `describe-function',
etc. when it picks up the default value - much of the time the name is
unambiguous.

This could mean fewer keys to learn for gnubees.