Re: Modifying image-load-path/load-path

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: Modifying image-load-path/load-path
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 17:52:43 -0800

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:

> Bill Wohler <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > We are also working to replace redundant code for locating our packages'
> > images and updating image-load-path (load-path in Emacs 21) with a
> > single function in image.el.
> >
> > Our question for you is this: should such a function actually modify the
> > image-load-path (as MH-E does now), or simply return a modified version
> > of image-load-path for use in a scoped variable copy of image-load-path
> > (as Gnus does now)?
>
> IMO, using a scoped copy is cleaner.  Is there any reason to modify
> the image-load-path permanently?

The same reason that *any* directory is in image-load-path, I suppose.

If MH-E is run within CVS Emacs, then the MH-E user sees MH-E images on
image-load-path. If the user then ran the MH-E package outside of CVS
Emacs, then wouldn't it be strange if suddenly, the MH-E images were no
longer on the image-load-path?

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD