Re: CC Mode 5.31.3

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: CC Mode 5.31.3
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 10:36:59 -0500

>>> The issues with the Mode Name, and minor mode flags in the mode line are
>>> still unresolved.  On typing M-x smerge-mode, C Mode's flags (the "/la"
>>> of "C/la") now stay with the major mode, but this is done by setting
>>> mode-name to "C/la", a stop-gap solution at best.  This is ugly, and I
>>> don't find it an acceptable solution..

>> Could you remind me why you don't use mode-line-process?
> Ignorance, mainly.  :-)

You mean you forgot: on Dec 15, you replied:

   > > I think that c-submode-indicators should either be put in
   > > mode-line-process, or that c-mode sets mode-name to '("C"
   > > c-submode-indicators).

   Problem Acknowledged.

> Is there any guarantee that a buffer.c won't invoke any process (whatever
> that might mean) that would overwrite mode-line-process?

mode-line-process is not magically used by process primitives AFAIK.
It's the responsability of elisp code that runs subprocesses to setup the
mode-line-process variable if they so wish.

So no, there's guarantee, but I don't think it's a real problem.  After all,
it'd probably be a gud for a minor mode to interfere with the major mode's
use of mode-line-process.

        Stefan