Re: Extended menu items, when are :enable and :filter computed?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Extended menu items, when are :enable and :filter computed?
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 03:59:21 -0500

     From my simple tests is seems like the argument to :filter is computed
    every time the menubar is accessed. It is not really what I would expect
    when this is in a submenu. Is this behaviour intentional?

Yes.  The toolkit displays the menus, and Emacs does not even know which
ones it displays.  Emacs must provide the full info in advance.

There is no choice about this.

Why do you care?  The user COULD look at all the submenus at any time,
so why do you care whether he does look at them all, or only at some?