Re: CC Mode 5.31.3

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: CC Mode 5.31.3
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 15:10:39 +0000 (GMT)

Hi, Kim!

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006, Kim F. Storm wrote:

>Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

>> Hi, Emacs!

>> On Sun, 26 Feb 2006, Richard Stallman wrote:

>>>    The issues with the Mode Name, and minor mode flags in the mode
>>>    line are still unresolved.  On typing M-x smerge-mode, C Mode's
>>>    flags (the "/la" of "C/la") now stay with the major mode, but this
>>>    is done by setting mode-name to "C/la", a stop-gap solution at
>>>    best.

>>>Anyway, can't you achieve what you want with a local binding for
>>>mode-line-modes?  Or mode-line-process?

>I don't see why we cannot just make a new variable for this.
>After all, CC Mode is an important feature of Emacs.

Hey, do you want me to buy you a beer?  ;-)

>Of course, this only works for 22.x and forward, but that's life :-)

Just like syntax-table text properties only work for Emacs 20.x forwards.
Even CC Mode won't be maintaining support for 21.x for ever.  ;-)

>*** bindings.el        06 Feb 2006 18:21:19 +0100      1.157
>--- bindings.el        27 Feb 2006 10:03:17 +0100
>***************
>*** 220,225 ****
>--- 220,231 ----
>  (defvar mode-line-frame-identification '("-%F  ")
>    "Mode-line control to describe the current frame.")

>+ (defvar mode-line-submode nil "\
>+ Mode-line control for displaying submodes of the major mode.
>+ Normally nil in most modes, since there is no submode to display.")

I'd be more emphatic in that doc-string:  "Mode line format element for
displaying extra major-mode information.  THIS SHOULD ALWAYS APPEAR TO
THE RIGHT OF VARIABLE `mode-name' WITHOUT INTERVENING SPACE.", or
something like that.

[ .... ]

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)