Re: Printing from modern Emacsen

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Printing from modern Emacsen
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 11:53:42 +0900

I'm very sorry for not reponding on this subject.

In article <address@hidden>, "Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

> In principle, I think it would be good to move towards a Unicode-based
> printing system for Emacs.  Especially in the Unicode-2 branch.  I am
> not sure how far away we are from that goal.  Handa, can you tell us?

I've been working (but slowly) on using TTF font directly
from ps-print, and just finished the first version of such a
tool (ps-ttf.el; yet another external library for ps-print).
It basically generates a Type42 PostScript font from TTF
(defining only glyphs necessary for printing the current
text) and embed it in the output.

But, it requires a PostScript printer to support TrueType
rasterizer (i.e. version 2013 or the later), and also
requires several backward compatibility issues for version
yanger than 3011.

I tried to address those backward compatibility issues, but
as I don't have an old PostScript printer, I'm not sure how
well it works.

So, I'd like to ask you to print the attached PostScript
file on PostScript printers around you.  As recent
ghostscript has no problem on handling it, if your printer
is drived by ghostscript, you should be able to get the
correct result.

The file is created on emacs-unicode-2 by (ps-print-buffer
"~/temp.ps") on *Character List* buffer for
cyrillic-iso8859-5 using FreeMono.ttf
(http://www.nongnu.org/freefont/).

---
Kenichi Handa