Re: CC Mode 5.31.3

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: CC Mode 5.31.3
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 11:37:01 +0000 (GMT)

Hi, Stefan!

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> The issues with the Mode Name, and minor mode flags in the mode line are
>> still unresolved.  On typing M-x smerge-mode, C Mode's flags (the "/la"
>> of "C/la") now stay with the major mode, but this is done by setting
>> mode-name to "C/la", a stop-gap solution at best.  This is ugly, and I
>> don't find it an acceptable solution..

>Could you remind me why you don't use mode-line-process?

Ignorance, mainly.  :-)  It sounds like a great idea, though.

mode-line-process appears to work fine for Emacs 2[012], but not for
XEmacs, where it is displayed to the right of the minor modes.

This variable is defined by the info it displays, not by its position in
the mode line.  It would have been nice to have the variable
`mode-right-of-name' (and even `mode-left-of-name').  It is a pity that
it is now too late to add these variables into the standard
mode-line-format and the Elisp manual.

Is there any guarantee that a buffer.c won't invoke any process (whatever
that might mean) that would overwrite mode-line-process?

--
Alan.