Re: Extended menu items, when are :enable and :filter computed?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Extended menu items, when are :enable and :filter computed?
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 14:44:59 -0500

    Computing menus might require loading Lisp packages.

Theoretically true, but seems unlikely in practice.  Anyway, it will
only be necessary to load them once, the first time.

      And many free
    software developers are not particularly wealthy and able to keep up
    with the trends in current hardware,

So maybe they have machines a few years old.  The question is still
important.

I think this optimization is not needed any more, so I don't want to
put it in etc/TODO.  I don't want to do it at all, unless people show
there is a real need for it today.  Not just a theoretical need, but a
substantial practical need.  Not just a speculation but actual facts.