Re: Unquoted special characters in regexps

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Unquoted special characters in regexps
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 14:43:40 -0500

       You're interpreting the term "context" the same way the regexp
       compiler does: meaning the preceding characters of the regexp.

    Of course I do.  That is the only interpretation my computer cares about.

The manual is meant for human beings to read, not for computers.
And the strict left-to-right parsing concept is not the way
human beings usually understand regexps.