Re: Extended menu items, when are :enable and :filter computed?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Extended menu items, when are :enable and :filter computed?
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 12:26:53 +0100

>     I've always viewed such a change as a performance improvement
>     for those cases where we use large dynamically-generated menus
>     or menus with lots of shortcuts to compute (X-Symbol comes to
>     mind).
>
> Is this optimization really worth while on modern computers?

Computing menus might require loading Lisp packages.  And many free
software developers are not particularly wealthy and able to keep up
with the trends in current hardware, which are mostly due to playing
games (running Windows XP with its compulsory registration and
security problems might be considered a special case of online
gambling).