Re: Unquoted special characters in regexps

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: Unquoted special characters in regexps
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 08:09:41 -0600 (CST)

Martin Rudalics wrote:

   Can you tell me what the author wants to match?

To give a less technical answer than in my previous response, an
_unquoted_ ", followed by a bunch non-newline whitespace or commas.

   Most humans _do_ expect to find some sort of symmetry in the things
   they observe.

Not necessarily.  Because you might start your regexp search in the
middle of something, breaking all symmetry.  In the example above, the
search probably started inside a string and the regexp is looking for
the end of it.

Sincerely,

Luc.