Editing .odt in emacs

From: Alexander Klimov
Subject: Editing .odt in emacs
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 18:35:39 +0200 (IST)

Hi.

I edit open document file saved in OpenOffice in emacs (cvs version).
BTW, .odt is zipped XML, actually.

The first problem is that after I have executed

 (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.odt$" .  archive-mode))

I got the following:

 Parsing archive file...
 File mode specification error: (args-out-of-range 1866753 1866757)

OTOH if I rename test.odt -> test.zip I can open it and start to edit
content.xml in SGML (indicated as XML) mode.

The next problem happens once I switch tags off using
sgml-tags-invisible:

   <text:p text:style-name="Standard">Some text.</text:p>

changes to

   Some text.

but if I move point over (invisible) tag emacs hangs temporarily and
*Messages* is filled with messages like

  Invisible tag: <text:p text:style-name="Standard"> [10 times]
  forward-list: Scan error: "Containing expression ends prematurely", 5948, 5948
  forward-list: Scan error: "Containing expression ends prematurely", 5982,
5983 [585 times]
  Invisible tag: <text:p text:style-name="Standard"> [4 times]
  forward-list: Scan error: "Containing expression ends prematurely", 5948, 5948
  forward-list: Scan error: "Containing expression ends prematurely", 5982,
5983 [166 times]
  Invisible tag: <text:p text:style-name="Standard"> [4 times]

OTOH once I switch visibility on I have no problem to go thru the
whole file using C-M-n and C-M-p unless I try to jump from inside a
tag (in which case I get `..ends prematurely' error).

BTW, anyone knows is there any effort to make odf-mode for emacs (or
at least odt-mode)?  Provided how slow is OOo when working with
several documents without gigs of RAM it would be of real use for many
users.

--
Regards,
ASK