Re: CC Mode 5.31.3

From: Vivek Dasmohapatra
Subject: Re: CC Mode 5.31.3
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 12:46:08 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

When the mouse is left over the "/la", it still doesn't give sensible
documentation.  This is also still to do.

One thing I noticed while looking at mode-line-format was that minor-mode-alist was included as folllows:

(:propertize
  ("" minor-mode-alist)
mouse-face mode-line-highlight help-echo "mouse-2: help for minor modes, mouse-3: minor mode menu" local-map
  (keymap
   (header-line keymap
                (down-mouse-3 . mode-line-mode-menu-1))
   (mode-line keymap
              (down-mouse-3 . mode-line-mode-menu-1)
              (mouse-2 . mode-line-minor-mode-help))))

which seems to mean that any help-echo properties set in c-submode-indicators, eg the follwing value for c-submode-indicators:

(:propertize "/l" help-echo "C Electricity")

are overwritten by the generic help in the first :propertize form above.

Perhaps if the handling of :propertize were altered so that the priority
of properties were inverted, ie the outer :propertize properties were only
applied to those substrings which did not already have those same properties
assigned by the inner forms, then things like the /la mouseover tooltips
would be easier to accomplish.

[ This may be undesirable for other reasons, I haven't looked deeply into
  it, I just thought I'd make the suggestion ]