Re: Unquoted special characters in regexps

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Unquoted special characters in regexps
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 15:40:54 +0100

> I don't understand what that means.  What exactly is the task you
> believe will be impossible?  As far as I know, it will still generate
> correct regexps, just somewhat different ones.

Suppose someone wanted to match `[foo]' in an earlier version of a
program and now wants to match `[foo][bar]' where `[foo]' and `[bar]'
are complicated expressions to be generated with help of `regexp-opt'.
The earlier version was obtained with `regexp-opt' producing
`\\[foo\\]'.  For the new version `regexp-opt' would generate `\\[bar]'.
The resulting expression would read as `\\[foo\\]\\[bar]' which is
confusing since two different styles are involved.  The user would have
to manually change `\\]' to `]' (or `]' to `\\]') to get a uniform
appearance.