Re: savehist-mode: invalid-read-syntax "#"

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: savehist-mode: invalid-read-syntax "#"
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 18:17:41 +0100

On Mon, Jan 09 2006, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:

> Reiner Steib <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> Are you sure that is a better idea than tracing the problem?
>>
>> Unfortunately I don't know how to reproduce the problem.
>
> You could modify savehist-minibuffer-hook (the function) to enter the
> debugger when command-history is added to the hook.  It doesn't happen
> for me in Emacs 21.  (I now see that you have done this already -- I'd
> be interested in your findings.)

I've been using this debug statement since Jan 09 and it wasn't
triggered anymore.  A Heisenbug...  ;-)

>> But the problem is quite serious.  It is quite hard for ordinary
>> users to find out how to solve the problem so we need a fix.
>
> If my understanding is correct, you refer to the CVS Emacs, which has
> not yet been released so should not be used by ordinary users.  If we
> install this fix, it will be that much harder to trace the underlying
> problem.

We could add the variable `savehist-ignored-variables' defaulting to
nil.  It might be useful on it's own independent on my problem.  And
if the problem happens, the user can add the history variable there
without patching `savehist.el'.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,