Re: address@hidden: PC-do-completion with directories adding stars.]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: address@hidden: PC-do-completion with directories adding stars.]
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 15:53:47 -0500

>> > It's a feature, not a bug.
>> Oh. I thought the feature was :
>> /a/b/c is replaced by /at/ba/ca if such a directory exists (done by
>> replacing `/' by `*/'), and that's a neat thing.
> Yes, that too.

That's the main feature.

>> but I didn't expect :
>> - The stars to appear in the field ; but the field processed like if they
>> were here,

I'm not sure what this refers to.  It sounds like a bug.

>> - The stars to be repeated (/a/b/c -> /a*/b*/c* -> /a**/b**/c**)

That's a bug.

>> - An error message instead of a `[No match]' :
>> I don't see why /tmp/this-file-doesnt-exist <TAB> triggers [No match]
>> and /a/b/c an error that can raise up the debugger on debug-on-error.

Sounds like a bug as well.  Of course, this part of the code is difficult to
get right because it uses an underlying shell to do the globbing, so maybe
it's a bug we won't fix.

I don't have you original email and the info you provide above about the
various problems isn't detailed enough for me to know where to look and how
to fix it.  Please give me more details.

        Stefan