RE: ECB

From: klaus.berndl
Subject: RE: ECB
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 14:48:10 +0100

Hello,

Sorry for reactivating such an old thread but the latest cvs-Emacs pops this
up for me:

I saw, that balance-window has been completely reimplemented on base of
a new c-level-function `window-tree'...fine, but:

Tools like ECB makes a lot of handstands to exclude some windows (the
special ECB-windows which display stuff like dirs, files and file-
contents from being deleted by command like delete-other-windows etc...
Or in general: To exclude these special ECB-windos from being taken into
account in general (e.g. also by count-windows, walk-windows in special
situations).

This is done by advices which are save and only active when ECB is active...

Richard, do you remember this thread - see below?
We had discussed how to prevent some special windows from being deleted?
Now i think we would need a more general mechanism which would also prevent
such windows from being included in the tree returned by `window-tree' so
all features based on new `window-tree' (AFAIK currently only `balance-window')
can ignore this window from their doing....

I think this is not necessary for the current Emacs-release but a least then,
when
ECB should be integrated into Emacs (at least if this is intended ;-)

But for now: Are there some work-arounds possible how to exclude some windows
from being "balanced" (means ajusted) by the new balance-window?
In the old one an advice for `walk-windows' was enough which simply does not
walk through these special windows... But now, `walk-windows' is not used but
`window-tree'...

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Ciao,